Your fear of using social media may actually be due to your fear of death.
Sound preposterous? Way off base? Absurd? Laughable?
That’s not what Dr. Travis Kemp, one of Australia’s leading performance psychologists and leadership development facilitators thinks.
Fear Is The Barrier
Humans are bad at assessing risk. We let our personal fears guide our decisions instead of logic. Often, we are not even aware that we operating from a position of fear.
Dr. Kemp shared how fear distorts risk management processes during his presentation at the National Stakeholder Engagement and Community Relations Officers’ Forum 2011 in Melbourne.
Kemp says that fear greatly exaggerates the risk of new and different while underrating the risks of tried and true. Fear influences how willing people are to consider new ideas, accept change and adopt new approaches.
If people are operating out of fear, much of what they do will be skewed towards a place of perceived safety, protection and the familiar. Any change will be perceived as wrong. Their fear will direct them to resist and fight change.
Resistance To Use Of Social Media Due To Fear Of Death
Kemp shared how the resistance to use of social media may be due to the fear of death.
Here’s a typical thought process for an association executive adapted from Kemp’s original example.
- Social media is new and different.
- I don’t understand social media well enough to understand the risks and pitfalls.
- Since I don’t understand the risks and pitfalls, I might make mistakes or allow mistakes to be made.
- Mistakes will embarrass and diminish the reputation of our organization.
- If the organization or its leadership is negatively impacted by use of social media, I will be held responsible.
- If I am held responsible for a social media mistake, I will lose the respect and confidence of my Board of Directors.
- If I lose the respect and confidence of my Board of Directors, I could lose my job.
- If I lose my job I could lose my house, family and friends.
- If I am left homeless and friendless, I am likely to die.
- Therefore, if I use or allow the use of social media, I am likely to die.
Do you think Dr. Kemp is stretching it regarding why some people fear using social media? How do we get people to operate from a place of confidence and self-assurance instead of fear?